Though unlikely, an overdose of Marqibo (liposomal vincristine) is possible. If a healthcare provider miscalculates the dose and too much of this medication is administered, it may lead to problems like vomiting, double vision, or seizures. If the overdose is discovered while the medicine is being given, the dose will be stopped. Other treatment will include supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Marqibo® (liposomal vincristine sulfate) is a prescription intravenous (IV) chemotherapy medicine. Marqibo is given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting. Therefore, an intentional overdose of this medicine is not likely to occur.
However, as with most medications, it is possible that an overdose with Marqibo could happen. For example, a miscalculation of the correct dose could result in too much of the drug being given. The specific effects of an overdose would vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as the Marqibo dosage and whether it was used in combination with any other medications or substances.
Based on studies that used high doses of Marqibo, as well as reported effects of an overdose with the active ingredient in Marqibo (vincristine), possible symptoms of an overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Muscle weakness
- Problems walking
- Slapping or drooping of the front part of the foot when walking
- Loss of reflexes
- Increase in liver enzymes
- Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
- Numbness, pain, tingling, or burning sensations in hands or feet
- Double vision
- Drooping of the eyelid
- Bone marrow suppression, which would cause a decrease in red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.