Leukemia Home > Vincristine Side Effects
For many medications, the prescribing information carefully explains the exact percentage of side effects that were seen in clinical trials. However, the prescribing information for most older medicines, including vincristine, includes only vague information on potential side effects, with no detail on how frequently they occur. Therefore, it can be difficult to know exactly how common reactions to such medications may be.
Some of the possible vincristine side effects may include:
- Hair loss (see Chemotherapy and Hair Loss)
- Constipation (see Constipation With Chemotherapy)
- Low white blood cell counts (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Decreased appetite
- Problems with vision or hearing
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of muscle tissue
- Numbness, tingling, burning, or other abnormal sensations in the hands or feet (see Nerve and Muscle Problems During Chemotherapy)
- Sores in the mouth or throat (see Mouth and Gum Problems During Chemotherapy)
- Pain, including muscle pain, bone pain, jaw pain, back pain, and arm and leg pain
You may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while using vincristine or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.