Leukemia Home > Purinethol Overdose
Some of the problems that may occur as a result of an overdose with Purinethol (mercaptopurine) include vomiting, bone marrow depression, and liver damage. If an overdose occurs, treatment would likely involve supportive care to treat any resulting symptoms. If the overdose was recent, it may help to induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to help absorb the medicine before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Purinethol® (mercaptopurine) is a prescription chemotherapy medicine used to treat acute lymphatic leukemia (also called acute lymphocytic leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia). As with most medicines, it is possible to overdose on Purinethol.
The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Purinethol dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Possible effects of a Purinethol overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal (stomach) pain or cramping
- Skin rash
- Bone marrow suppression, which would cause a decrease in red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets
- Liver problems
- Kidney problems.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal to help reduce the amount of medicine absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Purinethol from the blood.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for this type of overdose may include:
- Medications to treat vomiting or diarrhea, if they occur
- Close monitoring of blood cell counts
- Intravenous fluids to manage dehydration that may result from diarrhea and vomiting.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken a Purinethol overdose.