Leukemia Home > Nipent Overdose
An intentional overdose on Nipent (pentostatin) is unlikely to occur, as this chemotherapy drug is usually administered by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting. However, if the dose is miscalculated or too much is inadvertently given, it may lead to effects like kidney damage, low blood cell counts, or damage to the nervous system. Treating these problems will likely involve supportive care.
Nipent® (pentostatin) is a prescription injectable medication approved to treat a rare type of cancer known as hairy cell leukemia. As with most medications, there is a possibility that an overdose could occur if too much Nipent is given.
The specific effects of an overdose would vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Nipent dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Nipent is normally given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting. Therefore, an intentional overdose is unlikely to occur. However, an overdose could happen if too much of the medication is inadvertently given, such as if the dose is miscalculated.
Based on the known effects of high doses of Nipent, possible symptoms of an overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Low blood cell counts
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Lung damage, which could cause breathing problems and cough
- Damage of the nervous system (the brain and nerves), which could cause a variety of symptoms, such as:
- Muscle weakness
There is no known antidote for a Nipent overdose. In general, treatment will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of an overdose. Supportive treatment could include:
- Close monitoring of blood cell counts
- Close monitoring of the liver, kidneys, and lungs
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- Medications to treat seizures if they occur.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have overdosed on Nipent.