treatment options vary based on the type of leukemia that a person has. Factors that may influence the treatment options include:
- The type of leukemia (see Types of Leukemia)
- The patient's age
- Whether leukemia cells are present in the cerebrospinal fluid
- Whether the leukemia has been treated before
- Certain features of the leukemia cells
- The patient's symptoms and general health.
In general, leukemia treatment options can include:
- Other drug therapy
- Biological therapy
- High-dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplant
- Donor lymphocyte infusion
Choosing the most appropriate treatment is a decision that ideally involves the patient, the family, and the healthcare team.
This article will look at the treatment options that apply to all types of leukemia. For more specific information about the treatments for different types of leukemia, visit the following eMedTV articles: