Leukemia Home > Gleevec Warnings and Precautions
People who are taking Gleevec may have an increased risk for developing heart problems, bleeding, stroke, or certain other complications. This cancer treatment can also interfere with many other medications. Other safety warnings and precautions with Gleevec apply to people who have certain medical conditions, such as liver disease, high blood pressure, or any allergies.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Gleevec® (imatinib mesylate) if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- An irregular heartbeat
- Heart disease, such as congestive heart failure
- Lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Had a heart attack
- Ever had a bleeding problem, such as bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain
- Thyroid problems, such as an under- or overactive thyroid (hyper- or hypothyroidism)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant