Leukemia Home > Gleevec Dosage
Gleevec Dosing for Dermatofibrosarcoma ProtuberansThe usual recommended dosage of Gleevec for the treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (a rare type of skin cancer) is 400 mg twice a day (800 mg daily divided into twice-daily dosing).
Gleevec Dosage for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST)The standard dose of Gleevec for the treatment of GIST (a rare cancer of the stomach, intestines, or esophagus) is 400 mg a day. Your healthcare provider may increase this amount to a maximum of 800 mg a day (400 mg twice a day) if you are not adequately responding to treatment and are not experiencing serious side effects.
Adjusting Your Dose of GleevecCertain people may need lower Gleevec dosages. This includes people who:
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- Experience potentially serious side effects of the blood, such as abnormally low white blood cells or platelets.
Also, people taking certain other medications that lower Gleevec blood levels may need higher doses (see Gleevec Drug Interactions).
General Information on Taking GleevecSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Gleevec include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- Doses of 800 mg should be divided into twice-daily dosing (400 mg twice a day).
- You should take your Gleevec dosage with food and a large glass of water.
- Do not crush, chew, or cut Gleevec tablets. Swallow them whole.
- If you are unable to swallow the tablets, you may dissolve them in a glass of water or apple juice, and then drink the liquid. Use about 50 mL of liquid for a 100-mg tablet and 200 mL for a 400-mg tablet. Stir with a spoon and drink the mixture right after the tablet dissolves.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking Gleevec or take a different dosage without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Gleevec, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.