Leukemia Home > Clolar Overdose
An overdose of Clolar (clofarabine) is unlikely to occur, as this medicine is given by a healthcare provider. However, an unintentional overdose is possible and may cause problems like vomiting, a skin rash, or jaundice. Treatment will likely involve administering certain medications and providing supportive care to treat any resulting complications.
Clolar® (clofarabine) is a prescription chemotherapy medicine used in the treatment of children with a type of blood and bone marrow cancer known as acute lymphoblastic leukemia. This medication is given as an injection into a vein (an intravenous, or IV, injection). Because it is normally given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, an intentional overdose is unlikely to occur.
However, as with any medicine, it is possible to overdose on Clolar. Although not likely, certain situations could result in too much of the medicine being given, such as if the dose is miscalculated. The specific effects of an overdose would vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Clolar dosage and whether it was used with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reported cases of an overdose with this medication. Therefore, it is not entirely known what to expect if an overdose were to occur. Based on symptoms that have occurred when higher-than-recommended doses of Clolar were given to two children, possible effects may include but are not limited to:
- Skin rash
- High levels of bilirubin (a pigment produced by the liver) in the blood, which normally causes jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes).
Adults may develop more side effects from a Clolar overdose. In clinical studies, adults were unable to tolerate the normally recommended pediatric doses of Clolar.