Leukemia Home > Campath Overdose
In reported cases of an overdose with Campath (alemtuzumab), symptoms included infusion reactions, infections, and abnormally low blood cell counts. However, various factors will determine the exact problems a person experiences. Treating this type of overdose will involve stopping the medication and providing supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Campath?Campath® (alemtuzumab) is a prescription medication approved to treat a certain type of leukemia. As with any medicine, it is possible to use too much. The specific effects of an overdose could vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as the Campath dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of a Campath OverdoseThere have been reports of serious side effects in people who received up to three times the maximum recommended Campath dose. Based on these reports, symptoms of an overdose may include:
- Abnormally low blood cell counts
- Infusion reactions (side effects that occur during or shortly after receiving the Campath dose), such as:
- An unexplained rash
- A fast heartbeat
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Wheezing, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Failure of the kidneys to produce urine
Treatment OptionsThere is no antidote for a Campath overdose. If a person does receive too much, the medication will be stopped. Treatment will then involve supportive care, which consists of relieving the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care may include:
- Close monitoring of blood cell counts
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- Anti-infective drugs to treat infections if they occur.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have received too much Campath.