Interested in a Discount on Gleevec?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Just like any medicine, Gleevec can cause side effects. Although not everyone who uses the drug will have problems, most people will experience some adverse reactions during treatment.
If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are mild and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Serious reactions are less common.
Common side effects of Gleevec include but are not limited to:
- Fluid retention (edema or swelling)
- Muscle cramps
(Click Gleevec Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
Gleevec can potentially react with a number of other medicines (see Gleevec Drug Interactions).
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- An irregular heartbeat
- Heart disease, such as congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- A history of heart attack
- A history of bleeding problems, such as bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain
- Thyroid problems, such as an under- or overactive thyroid (hypo- or hyperthyroidism, respectively)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Gleevec and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Gleevec and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Gleevec Warnings and Precautions to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)