Based on cases where people have taken too much Gleevec (sunitinib), overdose symptoms may include fatigue, abnormal bleeding, and vomiting, among others. However, the specific effects will depend on how much of the medicine was taken and whether it was taken in combination with other substances. Treatment may include pumping the stomach, administering medications, and treating any symptoms that occur.
Gleevec® (imatinib mesylate) is a prescription medication approved to treat certain types of cancer, including leukemia. As with any medicine, it is possible to take too much Gleevec. The specific effects of an overdose with this medication may vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as how much Gleevec was taken and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been a few reports of a Gleevec overdose. Based on these reports, symptoms of an overdose may include (but are not limited to):
- Nausea and vomiting
- Swelling, especially of the legs, ankles, feet, and face
- Muscle pain and spasms
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Decreased appetite
- Decreased red and white blood cell counts
- Decrease in platelets (cells that help the blood clot)
- Increase in liver enzymes (which could be a sign of liver problems).
The treatment for a Gleevec overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that the healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for this type of overdose may include close monitoring of the kidneys and liver. Fluids and electrolytes (body salts, such as sodium and potassium) may be given if needed, such as if severe vomiting or diarrhea occurs.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much Gleevec.