Some of the potential complications that may occur as a result of an overdose with Bosulif (bosutinib) include fever, severe diarrhea, and dangerous internal bleeding. The specific effects, however, will depend on how much of the drug was taken and a number of other factors. Treating this type of overdose may involve administering certain medications, pumping the stomach, and providing supportive care.
Bosulif® (bosutinib) is a prescription medication used to treat certain adults with leukemia, a cancer of the blood cells and bone marrow. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Bosulif.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Bosulif dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
At this time, it is not entirely known what to expect from a Bosulif overdose. The only information available is from a few reported cases of an overdose during Bosulif clinical studies. No serious problems occurred as a result of these overdoses; however, the prescribing information for this drug does not provide details on how much Bosulif was taken during these overdoses.
Based on the known side effects of the medicine, possible symptoms of a Bosulif overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Severe diarrhea
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Low platelet counts, which could cause dangerous internal bleeding
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for a Bosulif overdose may include:
- Medications to treat vomiting and diarrhea
- Fluids given through a needle inserted into a vein (intravenous, or IV, fluids)
- Close monitoring of blood cell counts.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.