Arzerra Side Effects
Extensive clinical research has been done on the side effects of Arzerra. Although not everyone who receives this drug will experience problems, most people will develop some type of reaction. Some of the most commonly reported side effects include coughing, diarrhea, and fatigue. Some reactions, such as chest pain, shortness of breath, and confusion, are more serious and may require immediate medical treatment.
Just like any medicine, Arzerra® (ofatumumab) can cause side effects. In some cases, the side effects can be significant. Although not everyone who receives the medication will have problems, most people will experience some type of side effect during Arzerra treatment. Talk to your healthcare provider about ways you can manage some of these reactions.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with this drug. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Arzerra has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people receiving Arzerra were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In clinical studies, the most common Arzerra side effects included:
- Infections, including bacterial, viral, and fungal infections -- in up to 70 percent of people
- Infusion reactions (a reaction that happens while receiving or soon after your dose; see below for symptoms of this potentially dangerous reaction) -- up to 44 percent
- Fever -- up to 20 percent
- Coughing -- up to 18 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 18 percent
- Low red blood cell counts (anemia) -- up to 16 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 15 percent
- Shortness of breath -- up to 14 percent
- A rash -- up to 14 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 5 percent to 11 percent of people, included:
- Swelling in the arms, hands, legs, ankles, or feet
- Back pain
- High or low blood pressure (hypertension or hypotension)
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- Increased sweating
- Muscle spasms.
Some of the most common infections that occurred in Arzerra clinical trials included:
- Lung infections, such as pneumonia
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold
- Blood infections (sepsis)
- Herpes zoster (shingles).